Rethink Energy Florida joined Sierra Club Florida, Food and Water Watch, Physicians for Social Responsibility Florida, the Floridians Against Fracking Coalition, and many more in hosting "Reclaiming Florida's Future: Sparking Sustainability" on January 20, 2016 at the Florida Capitol!
Join us to make your voices heard!
By attending Advocacy Day, you will effectively help us show our representatives that these issues matter to their constituents. Your involvement with Advocacy Day offers a perspective that your representatives need to hear. Additionally, the sponsoring organizations will hold a Citizen lobbyist training on January 19th in order to prepare everyone to speak with confidence. The energy issues we will focus on include:
- Banning Fracking in Florida: This extreme extraction method poses risks to our environment and does not benefit the people of Florida. We don't want to see what happened in Naples happen anywhere in Florida again!
- Encouraging Energy Freedom: Many Floridians are unable to benefit from solar energy because of restrictive regulations. We'd like to see more consumer choice in where Floridians get their energy, and encourage job growth by ending these restrictions
- Clean Power Plan: This plan targets power plants because they are the largest concentrated source of carbon dioxide emissions in the United States, making up roughly one-third of all domestic greenhouse gas emissions. We oppose bills which are designed to delay implementing the Clean Power Plan and to divert EPA from its mission to address carbon pollution.
- Jan 19, 6:30-8pm: Citizen Lobbyist Training - Leroy Collins Public Library, 200 W. Park Avenue (Snacks provided, dinner on own)
- Jan 20: 9am: Mini-training for late arrivals – AFL CIO Building – 200 East College
- Jan 20: 10am- 4pm: Legislative Meetings - Capitol - 400 S. Monroe
- Jan 20: 11:20-12:45- lunch – AFL CIO Building – 200 East College
- 11:20 am – shift 1
- 11:40 am – shift 2
- 12:00 pm – shift 3
- 12:20 pm – shift 4
- Jan 20: 12:30: press conference (just before rally) – location – indoors, but TBD
- Jan 20: 1:00 pm: rally – Historic Capitol in front of Monroe
- Jan 20: 4:00 pm: most buses leave
- Jan 20 evening: co-event with Oceans Day Advocates (More information coming)
Want a ride?
Buses are traveling from the following locations:
- Miami: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to catch a ride! (Leaving 1/19!)
- Orlando: Contact Lisa@rethinkenergyflorida.org to catch a ride! (Leaving early 1/20!)
- Naples/ Ft. Myers: Contact email@example.com to catch a ride! (Leaving early 1/20!)
- St Pete: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to catch a ride! (Leaving early 1/20!)
Vans and carpools are traveling from the following locations:
- Jacksonville: Contact email@example.com to catch a ride!
- Pensacola: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to catch a ride!
- Gainesville/ Alachua County: Contact Merrillee Malwitz-Jipson: 352-222-8893
Hotel Group Block:
Howard Johnson Express Inn
2726 N Monroe St
$65+ taxes, Breakfast included
1-4 people per room
You must call to reserve/ pay: (850) 386-5000
The 'Free' Stay Option:
First Presbyterian is opening their doors to us for those who need a floor to sleep on. Bring a sleeping bag and towel to freshen up with. Choose this option on the registration form so we have a head count!
To Register: We welcome you to come in person, but we are no longer accepting online registrations